Deadline to apply: June 16, 2023
Category: Full time, permanent. Four-week annual vacation (in addition to the Holiday season) and comprehensive benefits package.
Salary: $42,000 to $47,000 depending on experience and qualifications
The Archive of the Jesuits in Canada (AJC), located in Montreal, Qc, seeks to recruit a dynamic and innovative Reference Archivist.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University-level education in archival/information studies or a related field with a demonstrated interest in archival theory and practice; with preference for candidates with a master’s degree in information studies with a specialization in archival studies.
- One year of experience in an archival organization. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Basic knowledge of archival theory and practice;
- Basic knowledge of collection management tools and of the Rules of Archival Description (RAD);
- Demonstrated ability and experience in the use of digital tools and platforms. Experience with WordPress, html and xml is an asset;
- Ability to communicate information to small and large groups;
- Knowledge of copyright laws and other legislation that concerns the access, the reproduction and the use of archival records;
- Oral and written fluency in French and English required;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on collaborative initiatives;
- Ability to develop objectives and to implement procedures.
The primary responsibilities of the position are to manage reference requests, welcome researchers, and perform other relevant tasks:
- Receiving reference requests from the public and from the Jesuits of Canada provincial administration;
- Keeping an inventory of reference requests;
- Ensuring communication by email or telephone with researchers;
- Conducting preliminary research in archival fonds and collections in order to guide researchers;
- Welcoming researchers on site;
- Creating research guides;
- Managing the back-end of the AJC’s website and managing the AJC’s social media accounts;
- Providing support to the collections management team by creating and developing tools and methods to retrieve information;
- Contributing to the development of outreach projects, including the development of physical and virtual exhibits;
- Contributing to collaborative initiatives with other memory institutions and research projects;
- Supporting the Director in the elaboration of objectives and organizational strategic priorities, including administrative activities and the development of budgets;
- Contributing to the preservation of analog and digital records by participating in the maintenance and the development of archival preservation methods;
- Engaging in professional and scholarly activities;
- Additional duties as assigned based on individual competencies and interests.
The position requires the ability to communicate in French and English, both orally and in written form. The working environment is in French. Operational activities are delivered in French, in English, and/or both, depending upon the researcher, the initiative, and the intended audience.
The archival collection contains material in French and English. The selected candidate will interact with researchers in French and English.
TRUTH AND RECONCILIATION WITH INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
The AJC are engaged in a process of truth and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. The selected candidate will need to demonstrate an understanding of the main challenges regarding archival concepts and practices. The candidate must be familiar with the principles stated in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Calls to Action, as well as demonstrate a knowledge of national and international strategic orientations and principles concerning Indigenous peoples and associated archival records.
The deadline for applications is June 16, 2023. Interviews will be conducted during the next two weeks.
Applications, which must include a letter of interest and a curriculum vitae in one Word or PDF file, should be sent to CANAJCdirection@jesuites.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for the short list will be contacted for an interview. Candidates selected for an interview might be asked to provide the names and addresses of three referees.
Personal information received from prospective candidates will be used only for this recruitment process.